Thursday, October 17, 2002

"So," the story goes, "do you know the most important element of comedy?" Why no," you say, "what is the most impor-" "Timing"
I have been waiting for fifteen years for some dreams to come to pass. 25 for one. And now the frequency of the same words coming to me. I begin to think that it's nearly time.
Joseph had it worse than me. He really believed what God said to him. I've struggled and given up and forgotten and, well, you know what it is to be human- I think that I'm just more of the give up/in type of human than most. You want me to go for something? You've gotta give me a little incentive. And, it seems, the longer between sightings, the bigger the incentive needs to be. I heard something about a new wineskin a while ago. and then more recently, too. Now I've heard something about tomorrows' fire. Joseph had a clue what God was saying.
Maybe that's a boon, to have no idea what your looking for- more catches your eye. On the other hand, when you don't know what it is, it can pass you by and, well, you miss it.
I believe that we are in a time of reformation, and that we are still recovering from the dark ages. I think that we are doing the best that we can with what we have, but I think that He wants us to have much more... I just can't quite define the much more part. Like Ransom on Malacandra trying to focus on things that he's never seen before. Like Neo trying to see with eyes that had, in fact, never been used. Like in one of those goofy places where water runs up hill and the shorter seem taller because perspective has been warped, manipulated to give you reference points that look right but are in fact, hallucinagenic.
This may or may not make any sense, but I believe that as much as I don't like what the church puts on people, they are doing the best they can. There are few true fathers in the church today- few true pastors who actually lay down their lives for their flock. A shepherd doesn't roast the one sheep that went out and got lost. If they find them, they do what they must to teach them, but the don't turn them out or ignore the pain that they may be in for their own convenience. They don't even find the slightest bit of pleasure in breaking that little lambs leg.
How can we better teach. How can we learn when there are so few teachers, and many of them are afraid to go on the adventure. Some seem to be on the archealogical dig, some looking for the cure among relics, and some looking for the cure on a new frontier.
Who's right? Yes. Yes would be the correct response to a question like that. I think that what is ahead must be the completion of what is behind. Jesus said that you must lose your life to find it. He said that he came to fulfill the law, not abolish it. He said that the time would come when the reaper would over take the sower. I am anxious to be overtaken by the Spirit. I suspect that it won't be pretty, but I think that it'll be a gas. What will it look like, that's the billion dollar question. I don't know, but turn up the heat, I think that I'm ready to burn.

No comments: