Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I just got in last night after being in Israel for 7 days- two days in Tiberias and 5 days in Jerusalem. Too much to put here in one day but I think that I will try and re-live some of it here over the next little while.
The hardest part of the trip was witnessing how thoughtless people can be, and I was probably the most. I typically come with the attitude that people are christians and will approach things from a conservative standpoint with grace and mercy abounding. Especially when we were in a foreign land.
I have come to the conclusion that the older generation believes that they did everything possible during world war two and the holocaust is just history that the time for reaction is past... That cleanliness really is next to godliness... That you are safe in any country if you are an american and any opinion that wanders into your head has validity no one has the right to stop you from sppeaking it out no matter how inane it is... It is incumbent on your tour host and guide to allow you to wander at will and then to come and find you at the expense of time and the hopes of others that are on the tour.
That off my chest, I had a great time. Baptised in the Jordan by the man who baptised me thirty odd years ago, diving into the Dead Sea (a challenge from somebody at church... it only hurt for a while- the aftermath is like rubbing your eyes with rock salt) and walking barefoot in places where it is certain that Jesus walked.
I'll tell details later on some of these things. Comment if you have questions.
t

No comments: