Sunday, November 27, 2005

Cesarea
Just to the left there was where we ended up sitting and learing about Herod and what he built, what was common for any roman city built outside of Rome. An amphitheater, a race track for horses and chariots, an arena.
Here was the amphitheater. They claim that the accoustics are so good that you can get a way with a whisper and here it in the top row. I was called upon to stand and sing and so I sang Amazing Grace and the group sang along.
My group was sitting on the left there just in front of the aisle where the tunnels came out and I stood at ground level- someone told me that was where I should stand. Perhaps the stage would have been better- and it was pretty amazing to get to sing in a place like that.


Cesarea is an on going archeological dig as is shown here and a port city on the mediteranean sea. I'm sure that it was grand when it was newly built, and even now the beauty of the sea is phenomenal.
In the middle of this picture are some columns that had been recovered and in the forground is the stage from the far left side of the stage in the topmost row of seating. Despite that it was built by Herod who murdered every male child under two, it was a marvel.

No comments: