Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Well, that went well. For us. But I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I was getting dirty looks from everybody.

I was trying to figure out whether it was the pious look of a Polish supplicant or if I just incited something deep within people to distrust strangers, or just what it was.

Then I thought that I may have an idea... I'm a skinhead. Well, I'M not a skinhead but I look like a skinhead. To someone who doesn't have eyes to see.

At the end of our assignment we sat in the courtyard and felt the peace roll in.

I watched the clouds roiling, and when I went to take a picture or a video, they would slow.

And then the swallows came in and chirped and flew in circles around the courtyard- they looked full of joy unspeakable. And there were more of them flying about the compound as we walked out.

Anyway, we completed our assignment there and got good and thoroughly lost on our way back. I didn't mind... It was autobahn... How fast is 170 KPH? I'm just wondering. I'm pretty sure that I had never driven that fast before.

We missed the airport exit because the sign was hidden behind a big truck. We looked to find our way to Lubiaz, and couldn't figure out where we were for most of the trip, but we did find our way and then finding our way to the Retreat House where we are staying, well let's just say it's kind of satisfaction you feel when after you have been lost driving around and then locals get lost looking for a place not far away from where you are.

Poland is beautiful, the people are beautiful and I'll be happy to come back someday, but- it's a big world with a lot more to see. Some of it has come here to see me, and more of it is waiting for me to come there.

But today belongs to Poland... WIECEJ RADOSCI!!! MORE JOY!!!

2 comments:

David McLain said...

170 kph = 105.633103 mph

Brother Bear said...

Apparently I was dressed as a tourist in a room full of pilgrims. (105? almost the fastest `i've ever driven...