Wednesday, September 15, 2004

As I'm getting older, I often wonder (perhaps worry) about the footprint that I will leave behind when I'm gone. If I'll have any progeny to carry on, if I'll make a difference in someones' understanding of the world, or the Saviour of it.
I was contemplating this today. Mortality and legacy- my dad and the things that I have received as part of his legacy. It's all real stuff. Material goods.
Don't misunderstand, I appreciate these things, but there are things that I would love to have that would inspire actual memories. Ideas that he had, beliefs that we held, words of affection. Words left behind for me to read and re-read. Things made for me, or written for me or dedicateed in some way to me.
I don't mean to sound like my dad was an uncaring old codger, nor should I whine about mis-use, abuse or abandonment. This is not the issue.
The issue, the thought is that perhaps there are things that we can leave that are more ethereal, less finite, or ethereal but rather concrete in an ambiguos sort of way.
If it sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about, it's because I don't. I'm trying to work it outso that it might be a concept that I would share with others, but in doing so, it would become the actual working out of the topic, wouldn't that be cool. I don't even know where to go from here, but it's a topic to be re-visited sometime when my brain stops hurting ;)

No comments: